Tuesday, August 18, 2009

August 18 Denali Revisited
















We saw a lot of animals in Denali, so that was really great! It was overcast, so we didn’t even glimpse The Mountain, but hey, I was ready for some animals this time around. And Mary Jo, she was into whatever was happening, so no worries there! The one real detractor for the day was that the bus was incredibly packed. Every seat was full and no leg room. A couple of times when we stopped and were waiting to get off (and we were in the very back too, even worse yet), I got a distinct claustrophobic feeling going on, like I was fixing to absolutely lose it, right there. I had to focus my gaze out the window, breath slowly, deeply, and my mantra was, “six million acres, six million acres”. So we did make it through. Uncomfortable, but it was still worth it. But, I’m Denali-ed out now, I can honestly say, and won’t be too interested in going back unless I win the lottery to drive through the Park after they’ve closed for regular business in the fall. These are mostly scenery pictures, except the one on the bottom, if you PEER VERY CLOSELY, you will see three grazing caribou. And that’s way I didn’t even really waste any effort taking more pictures of the animals we saw – many times, too many people in the bus, blocking the view, to even see the animal clearly, and then, if I could get a shot, the animal is a tiny little thing on the vast landscape. We saw: moose, caribou, eagle, raven, Dall sheep, several sets of mama grizzlies and cubs. And probably some more that I’m not remembering. I love Alaska's wild rivers, braiding out over large rock beds. So beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment