Friday, June 19, 2009

June 19 North to the Future (which is the name of an album by Joe Christmas)











It’s great to be back on the road again, although it was a little bittersweet leaving Spokane. I got out about noon today, appropriately equipped with Triple A maps and a Hyundai emergency kit, and had a stunning afternoon drive through mountains with some rain and then along valley floors, with flourishing fruit agriculture. No traffic to speak of at all. Lots of pear, apple, cherry orchards. And GRAPES. I saw many signs today for wine tasting at local vineyards. So tempting! But since I’ve no driver, (designated or otherwise), I passed them by. My border crossing went smoothly. The Canadian official asked me if I had any guns, mace, pepper spray and when I said no, she asked, what do you do for self defense? I said (a little lamely?) that I check into campgrounds before dark. I had already told her that I’m an acupuncturist, so perhaps she expected me to say that my hands and feet are lethal weapons! :) When I said something like, maybe I should get some mace, she said that it’s not allowed in Canada, but bear spray is. That’s a go figure, eh? If a woman used bear spray on an attacking man, she’d be in trouble? Tonight I’m at the cutest little campground, in Keremeos, BC. I’m told that there is an historic covered red bridge just a short walk from the campground and I intended to get there after dinner, but out of nowhere, clouds, a few spits and a cool, strong wind. I’m still nursing the tail end of this cold, so decided not to subject myself to any more External Evils. So in the morning, if it works out. I had fresh asparagus for dinner tonight, almost a whole bunch. I've been seeing it everywhere on sale, as it's in season locally. Yum, yum, it was good!
PS Probably many of you already know this, but a quick reminder for those who might not - if you double click on the photos, they will open up on your computer screen. Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment