Thursday, June 4, 2009

June 4 Hangin’ and Chillin’ Day 2























I went to see Dee Wichers this morning and we had a real nice visit. She and her family lived across the street from us when we were here in the mid-60’s. I went to kindergarten with her son David. She recently lost her husband John of 57 years, about 6 months ago. Dee told me some stories about my Mom that I hadn’t heard before! Here is a picture from her family room, looking towards Oak Harbor in the distance and another picture of a beautiful Christmas cactus she has. I asked for a picture of her, but she begged off temporarily. We made plans to hook up in AK as she will accompany David and his family to Kenai this summer, and she said we could take pictures then. David fishes for salmon commercially there in July and August. Bryan and Deet and their kids will also be there – so a bit of a reunion. In the afternoon, I drove by our old house (the blue one) and the Wichers’ old house across the street (the brick one), which, for what’s it worth, are on NE 5th Ave. Dad said the house was on 850 East Street, or Avenue, but they changed all the names a while back. Dee said she thought in might be on 8th, and David told his Mom that he thought it was 6th. Dee gave the correct directions to the house, regardless of street name, though. There is a used car lot at the end of the street now, not an A&W or whatever it was that was built when we were here. There is one shot looking up the street, which is about as much of a hill as I remember, Bryan! Then I stopped by the local farm market and bought 2 doz eggs from pasture raised chickens ($4 / doz and not nearly as big as Annalee’s), 1 doz pastured ducks eggs ($5 – and HUGE), raw goats milk cheese, dark chocolate truffles and a loaf of herb bread. Yum yum! (P.S. One of these pictures is a video! So examine closely!)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the pictures. Nice that you could visit with Dee. I guess she has adjusted to the loss of John as best as one can. It sounds like you visited with David also. That will be a grand time for you all this summer in AK. All that you sent brings back memories of times past. One does feel a strong kinship to old friends there and to the place also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I noticed in the pictures; No RAIN. Great! I remember a few days like that also. I remember what one of the pilots in our squadron said: "Summers are short in Oak Harbor. One year I missed summer. I went flying that day". ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, it's funny, I don't remember being that rainy. Once I remeber Bryan and I driving our little cars around and around in the garage for a week because of the rain, but that's about it.

    ReplyDelete