Friday, June 26, 2009

June 26 Code Edification















































































Alright then, right to the Heart of the Matter: I’m drinking up the very last of my wine this evening. Yes, Dear Readers, we are almost at a Code RED (that means, out of red wine, as opposed to a Code WHITE, etc). I hear that alcohol is quite expensive in Canada due to taxes (haven’t exactly checked it out) but I DID note the price of cigarettes: $15 a pack. Wow. That’d be a reason to quit, eh? That’s the Yukon Territory price, it’s about $8.50 in BC and somehow, the Indians have negotiated less or no taxes on their cigarettes (I don’t know about alcohol). However, regarding my own personal situation, I think I will be able to forestall an actual Code RED by arriving in AK tomorrow. Wheeww, close call, eh? Still not there yet, though, so who knows, tomorrow could be (shudder) “dry”! Or, (another shudder), “expensive”! :) And now, moving right along, some commentary on the pictures from today, starting from the bottom. First one is out of the box, on the road in the am. Next, the traffic at a rest stop just outside of Whitehorse. You can see a bridge across the lake in the distance between a couple of campers. I had several pictures of the bridge too (approaching it and driving over) but they didn’t make this evening’s cut, so that’s why it’s pointed out in the rest stop picture. Look carefully, please. It’s important that you see the bridge. Next, downtown Whitehorse, YT. Whitehorse is the capital of the Yukon Territory, with 27,000 people - only 33,000 in the whole territory, so they all pretty much live in Whitehorse. As I passed through town, I stopped at The Real Canadian Superstore, along with every other RV on the road, and stood in line with them all in the store, too, – and noticed on the way out, that funky orange bus-camper that I saw the other night! Tell me it’s the same one! No fleet, puh-leeze! :) The next picture is of Haines Junction, YT, which is not to be confused with Haines, AK! Even though they both have “Haines” in their name, they are in different countries, even. In the picture, if a person continued straight on the road, you would end up in Haines, AK. I took a right at the Shell station. Next couple of pictures, after the right at the Shell. Then – Kluane Lake. WOW! I have never seen a turquoise green lake like this!! It looks fake, almost! Is it because there are green (jade?!) rocks on the bottom of the lake? When I stopped to examine the water up close and personal, I could see, in the distance, a significant amount of dust blowing off the upcoming highway, so surmised, (correctly), road work and took one last picture of a clean truck and camper. It lasted almost for the whole day! :) Twenty minutes later, dirty, (I thought that’s the way you liked it, wink, wink ), I pulled into Cottonwood RV on the Lake, just 16 miles south of Destruction Bay, where it’s posted, no washing campers. So we stay dirty tonight! It’s otherwise a beautiful little campground, and I highly recommend it to each and every Dear Reader. And this is especially dedicated to my favorite younger brother, Bryan! :) Wish you were here, Bro! (ps "delayed gratification" for all regarding today's pictures - I will put them on ASAP.)

3 comments:

  1. Were there supposed to be pictures in this blog entry?

    I've enjoyed following your travel blog. I loved our drive up in 2003!

    Travel safe,

    Susan
    North Pole, AK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan,

    I got the pictures out there this morning! The internet at the CG's is pretty slow, and I think what happens is that everyone jumps on to check email upon arrival. So I've been having better luck uploading pictures in the am.

    Yeah, I'm having a really great time too! What an incredible drive!

    Hope to meet you sometime over the summer,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to meet you too. I love your sense of humor during this adventure. And I'm happy to see photos this morning. :)

    Susan

    ReplyDelete