Sunday, June 28, 2009

June 28 Heading South: from the Tok Cutoff to Glenn Hwy via a short little piece of the Richardson Hwy
















Today I saw a VW van that had run off the road quite some time ago, with weeds growing around it and I thought about going back and taking a picture of it and naming tonight’s entry “Into the Ditch”, but then, I just couldn’t do it. Too lazy to turn around, but not angelic enough to refrain from mentioning it. And frankly, such actions might create bad karma (unlike merely sharing a funny haha). I hope. Fingers crossed. Lots and lots of mountain pictures today. I really narrowed the selection for the blog way down because those sorts of pictures all start to look the same and with the clouds at the top of snowy mountains, the sky and the land seem to run together too. At a rest stop in the early afternoon, I talked at length with a couple from Ontario. We all agreed that pictures of the scenery will never, ever do it justice, so you just gotta come see it for yourselves. (Just remember, the mosquitoes, bears, eagles, etc warning). They thought it’s humorous that I’m moving to AK for the year, and then went right into highly recommending curling. What?! Curling?! They told me all about it and I also looked it up this evening – apparently it’s quite the winter sport. I must look like I’ve got some real curling potential for them to mention it to me, out of the blue like that! I always suspected that there was some sort of latent potential there, just lurking, waiting for discovery! Not! haha :) Here’s a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curling. Curling, noodling, I’m getting a real education on this trip!! :) In other news today: I finally passed a cell phone tower that works for me in Glennallen! This is the first one in DAYS. So I immediately pulled over at a gas station and chatted happily away on the phone for about an hour as I walked in circles by the truck and camper. I don’t know what that is, but I like to walk around when I’m talking on the phone! :) That was only two calls, too, so don’t feel bad if it wasn’t you! I still love you all, I promise! Tonight I’m at mile marker 109.7 on the Glenn Hwy (not to put too fine a point on it) and I’m only a couple of hours north of Anchorage. So (dare I preemptively mention it?) “The Trip Up” officially ends tomorrow. Barring any bad karma coming back to bite me, that is. Good fortune follows me, good fortune follows me, good for… ;)

2 comments:

  1. Wonderfu news Jo!! I am so happy you are there!
    Thanks for all the pics along the way and stay in touch. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Haloie. I had to read about curling. Never heard of it before. I guess we have never played it much in Florida. All for now. D

    ReplyDelete