Monday, June 22, 2009

June 22 Taking the Yellowhead Hwy Back to the Land of Fish and Berries





























People are no longer surprised to hear that I’m headed for AK, in fact, it’s now assumed. I’m on one of the main trails, and I’ve got a lot of company. There are many campers and boats on the road, and hardly any semi’s, but still, the traffic is non-existent (at least to me). The campgrounds aren’t full at night, so I’m thankful for that! I seem to be among the last who stop, about 6 or 6:30. I have the feeling this evening of corralling up after a long day on the trail, which was further confirmed by sign on a truck announcing “Caravans to Alaska.” There was one group watching baseball on a large flat screen on the outside of their bus-sized camper when I arrived; they have an orange TX flag. Tonight I’m in the Ksan Campground in Hazelton, BC. It’s run by the Gitxsan tribe (which translates to The People of the River of Mist). The internet is very spotty, so picture-upload will have to wait until another night. I’ve got a couple of the most unusual camper I’ve seen yet. It’s from AK and appears to tote several people (strangers? for working purposes?) with bunk bed arrangement, I'm guessing. The drive was pretty today, sun shining, moderate temps, back into more of a coastal looking part BC with mountains topped with snow and lovely large green trees. This morning, I saw at a rest stop, a sign that explained how the mountain pine beetle is decimating thousands of acres of lodge pole pines in BC. That explains all the dead trees standing amongst the good ones, in a way that fire could never accomplish. They are trying to harvest the dead trees because it's still good wood and that will reduce the chance of fire. Looks like there's lots of harvesting to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment