Saturday, June 20, 2009

June 20 GPS Destination: Anchorage, AK



Yesterday, as I left Spokane, I put Anchorage, AK into the GPS. I was going to name yesterday’s post with today’s title, but it gets the honor today instead. Tomorrow maybe I’ll name the post “why I should take Gingko”. ;) Tonight I’m in Lac la Hache, BC. The drive this morning was really nice, but this afternoon, the mountains flattened out and the trees got not so pretty and the sky got cloudy. Also, as of today, I’m over my rapture of taking pictures while driving. They’re all starting to look the same to me, mountains, water, sky, clouds, (the pictures, that is), so maybe that’s part of it. So only one picture for today. I ate lunch beside the Nicola River and had a little shut eye to the sound of the rushing water. One car went by every five minutes. Just as I was getting ready to leave, a motorcycle group of 4 middle aged women on Harleys pulled up. This evening in the campground, 4 middle aged British men checked in behind me. They flew into Seattle and rented a RV to go to Anchorage. Probably they will beat me as they’ve more drivers! But that’s okay, I will get there in time enough. This evening, I sent an email to all the lovely Canadian women that the Tres Amigas met this past January in Mulege, MX, begging for an extension on visiting, as at this point, just getting there is starting to call my name. All the distances are in kilometers in Canada, (I wish we had made the conversion way back when!), but there’re some towns with mile designations: 70 Mile House, 100 Mile House, 150 Mile House, which appear to have the correct “mileage” between them. Also, I was in the grocery store this evening and ran into French-only ingredient labeling. That was fun! :) And I passed a sign that I didn't take a picture of, (shucks), announcing entry to Cariboo Country. It's raining now and quite chilly, about 9:30pm and still kinda light outside. Got the electric heater going in the camper. The camper got dirty today and looks like a light tan colot instead of a pristine white. Well, and we've still got some miles to go. I feel really comfortable driving with the camper in tow, now. That's a good thing, eh? And one last thing: it seems that my batteries are lasting longer (cell phone/camera). Is it my imagination?

No comments:

Post a Comment