Saturday, June 27, 2009

June 27 Taking the AK Hwy Back to the Land of Miles and Gallons



































































Shortly after getting on the road this morning, I saw about six or seven cars all pulled over on both sides of the highway. I didn’t realize until I was through them that everyone was out with their cameras, looking at something. So I parked on the Far Side (!) and hopped out with mine, and saw through the trees a couple of Grizzlies wandering off. I couldn’t get a good snap shot, unfortunately. Later on, I also saw Beaver, but didn’t stop. Just waved as I went by. The road was the worst today of any on the trip. Lots of frost heaves in the paved parts and large sections of dusty, rocky, dirt roads. The front left tire (I’m pretty sure) of passenger car, driving too fast and approaching me, ricocheted a rock up to smack into my windshield. I saw the rock as it was flying through the air and it hit with a loud crack. It caused me to say a bad word. I’m a little surprised, though – I get the whole rock-comes-from-behind-another-vehicle thing, but I didn’t know until today you could be nailed by an approaching car. So now the truck has a couple of dings in the middle of the windshield. I can’t explain two dings from one rock. Maybe there were two rocks and I only saw one? Probably I’ll see about getting some stuff put in them when I get to Anchorage. I spent quite a bit of time traveling through scrawny black spruce forests this afternoon. These guys have it tough – it’s cold in the winter and there’s essentially no soil. Some trees with a five inch diameter can be 100 years old. Also in today’s picture selection, there’s one of an outhouse at a rest stop. They don’t stink! I can’t figure out if it’s because they’re open all around the top and bottom, or they’re vented with a black pipe, or it’s 55 degrees and therefore too cold for outhouse contributions to develop odor. Maybe all three! :) Bear-proof trash cans are also in that picture. Another picture shows that I took the truck and camper for a swim today! :) We are having FUN!! Going through customs at the border was a breeze, no worries. The last picture for today (the one at the top) is Tok, AK. Rhymes with "smoke". ;) And that’s where I am this evening.











No comments:

Post a Comment